The course covers organising around the flow of value, establishing agility with both technical and non-technical teams, and how delegates can support key events. The course also covers the lean-agile mindset, why companies need to adapt quickly, the importance of a customer-centric mindset, and how to lead a lean-agile transformation.
This Scaled Agile Framework certified class prepares the delegates to take the associated exam and become a SAFe 5 Agilist (SA). At the end of the course the delegates will be sent the materials necessary to take the online exam, including copies of the slides, a study guide and access to the practice exam.
This course is designed so that delegates will be able to:
- Understand the seven core competencies of the lean enterprise.
- Apply the lean-agile principles and values within their organisation.
- Participate in key events that support successful programme delivery
- Use strategic themes and lean portfolio management to bring alignment.
- Lead an agile transformation with the SAFe Implementation Roadmap
Thriving in the digital age with Business Agility
This lesson covers the seven core competencies of the lean enterprise and introduces SAFe as the ‘operating system’ for Business Agility.
Becoming a Lean-Agile Leader
This lesson covers the lean mindset, the agile manifesto, and the SAFe values. It then steps through each of the ten SAFe principles with activities, video and discussions to make the materials interesting and interactive.
Establishing Team and Technical Agility
This lesson describes how to form technical and non-technical, cross-functional agile teams, and how to create teams of teams, called ‘Agile Release Trains’, around the flow of value, and discussed practices to ensure that quality is built in.
Building Solutions with Agile Product Delivery
This lesson starts by describing how Design Thinking can be used to support a Customer Centric mindset and then looks at approaches to prioritisation of system features.
Programme Increment (PI) Planning is one of key events in SAFe. This lesson also covers the activities undertaken in the build-up to a PI Planning event. There is then a simulation of a PI planning event; giving those who have not attended one a flavour of how this key event works and the outputs.
Exploring Lean Portfolio Management
This lesson covers what is meant by a lean portfolio in SAFe. How ideas flow through the portfolio kanban system and how the strategic themes affect what gets built by the teams. It also covers controls and guardrails that apply.
Leading the Change
This lesson discusses leading a successful change and how it is incorporated into the SAFe Implementation Roadmap. It highlights the need for leaders to lead by example.
Becoming a Certified SAFe Agilist
The final lesson covers the SAFe community platform, how it is accessed and how to prepare for the SAFe 5 Agilist examination.
Leading SAFe Course Outcomes
Delegates will leave with a comprehensive understanding of their role in leading an organisation through a SAFe implementation. They will understand the different configurations of SAFe so that they can use what is appropriate for their business. They will also become eligible to sit the SAFe 5 Agilist examination.
There are no specific pre-requisites for this course. In order to get the best out of the exercises, it would be helpful to be familiar with the basics of software engineering teams. Those intending on taking the SAFe 5 Agilist exam will benefit from having some experience working with Scrum teams. Typical attendees include:
- Directors, executives and leaders
- Portfolio, programme and project managers
- Product owners and managers
- Programme/project management office
- Members of development teams
- Technical and solution architects
- Infrastructure management
- Agile coaches
When delivered as a private class, the course may be adjusted to spend more time on the topics most relevant to the organisation, whilst still covering the overall syllabus.
We are a friendly team of practitioners and we like to provide a personal level of support, before, during and after the class:
- Pre-course reading designed to expose questions so that they can be explored in class.
- Contact details allowing delegates to ask questions to the trainer before and after the class.
- Access to a comprehensive set of guidance after the course so that delegates can apply what has been learnt.
- Digital course effectiveness surveys with results sent out to delegates and sponsors straight after the class.
Duration: 2 days
- Access to Agility in Mind Academy
- Pre-course reading
- Post course reading
- Practise questions
- Trainers contact information
- One-year membership to the SAFe® Community Platform
- SAFe Agilist certification exam
The trainer was good in explaining all elements, particularly in providing simple examples.
Duncan had a very encouraging approach to delivering the materials and demonstrated an excellent understanding of how to effectively deliver the content.
Top quality from Duncan. Can’t rate him highly enough!
I’ve seen a lot of training before, and his was a cut above.
I really liked the pace of the course, it was just the right pace and it didn’t feel like it was an overload of content. I also enjoyed the activities that kept us engaged and helped us learn and understand the course.
Very good broad overview of Agile principles, processes and different methodologies. Plus, Brian had great real-life experiences to share.